Monday, April 23, 2012

Canopus

The phone rings.

"Hello?"
"Hey. I'm outside you house. Come out."
"Oh. Okay."

They meet. He smiles. She smiles back.
He knows that even though she is smiling, she is not happy.

"Come on. I wanna show you something."

He walks. She follows without any questions. They go to the field on top of the nearby hill.
There is not a single cloud in the sky.
It isn't dark. The moon is three-quarter full. There are streetlights too.
He lies down on the field. She looks puzzled.

"What on earth are you doing?"
"Well, don't just stand there. There's a lot of empty space beside me."

She chuckles. She lies down too.

"You see that star? I bet that's Canopus."
"Cano what?"
"Canopus. The second brightest star in the sky."
"Really? Wow!"
"That star next to it is Arcturus."
"I didn't know you're into astrology."
"You're right, I don't. I just made those names up."

She gives me a friendly nudge. She laughs. He feels relieved.

"How you're feeling?"
"Okay I guess."
"You're a strong girl. You'll make it through. I believe in you."
"You believe in me."

And they talk. About their dreams. About their wishes. About the future that are not guaranteed.
He manages to make her forget about the world for awhile.
Just then, there is a shooting star passes by.



No comments: