Assalamualaikum my lovelies..
His name is N.I. He and his family just arrived in Birmingham in 2002 and they settled in a house at Village Road. As Yew Tree Community School is the nearest in the neighbourhood, he was registered there and was placed in the same class as me; 6W (W for Mrs Watts). As a tradition in the school, the "senior Malay" is in charge of taking care of the "new Malay", so I was in charged of taking care of him. I helped him getting to class, explained things to him and showed him around, that sort of stuff.
I remember one day we had an oral Maths test, where you listened to the questions played on a tape and need to work out the answer in your head. I was pretty bad in this type of test. (I didn't know substraction and minus is the same thing! This was during the first week of school). So thinking he might have the same problem like me, I expected him to have low marks. But to my suprised, he got higher than me. (Eeeee, malu!)
Another day, we have a class at the computer area. We were supposed to do something (I can't remember what). Since both classes (6W and 6L) combined, all the computers were occupied and we have to wait for others to finish their work and use that computer after. I told him to stand to one computer and wait while I wait at another. The person in front of me finished his work early so I got the chance to start first than him. Then, Miss Price (I think her name is - she is big in size, have short multi highlight colour hair) walked in the computer area and scolded him for not doing the work (he was standing around remember). And I felt bad because I told him to wait there. But he was fine with it. Boleh senyum lagi. (Actually to think back, he always smiling).
And then I went back to Malaysia for few months as my Abah need to collect data for his PhD. When I came back, I was confused that there was a man coming to our class and taught us to sing a song. And N.I explained to me that we are going to this event where each school need to send a group of students to perform. Now, he's taking care of me. The roles have swapped.
After finished primary school, we moved to secondary school - Broadway School. We became separated. He was in class 7.1 (Band A) and I was in 7.5 (Band B). And as I grow older and become teenager, I guess I developed shyness with the opposite gender (?). I didn't talk to him much as we rarely see each other at school. But everyday we car pool; Abah will send us to school and his dad will picked us up. (It must be awkward in the car. LOL.) Sometimes, his dad can't pick us up so we need to walk home. Abah ordered that we must walk home together. He will wait for me outside school and as soon he saw me, he will started to walk. Or vice versa. So while walking home, he will be 100 meters in front or behind me (depends who finished class first). Sometimes, I walked home with Keomiee (her house on the way).
In 2003, he moved back to Malaysia. Before leaving, his mother gave me a decorated pencil. Still have it in my treasure box. So, goodbye N.I.
Fast forward to end of 2005 (?). Pakcik Yazid (a Birmingham Malaysian) was hosting his wedding ceremony in Malacca. My family and I went and meet up with other Birmingham Malaysians. N.I was there and I'm telling you he was good looking compared to the last time I saw him! He lost some weight, his hair not so cacak anymore. I didn't talk to him that day. I wished I had. At least, a hello is good enough. (But. hey typical me, getting nervous to talk to boys). I only watched him from afar.
Hey it's 2016! Sometimes when I got nothing to do, I will search his name on Facebook, Instagram. Oh, come on! Everybody have a Facebook account. He must have one. Right? I managed to find other Malaysian kids' Facebook account. Why can't I find his? Hmmmmm.
*This post was a draft since 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment